3/30/14

Running Running


I feel like it has been forever since I posted. Between a sick toddler who wasn't sleeping and a sick me who couldn't breathe well enough to work out, it's been a rough go. But I'm finally feeling OK, so let's go!

So yesterday was the official kick off of 5k season for me, and I thought I was completely unprepared. Unprepared because I missed 2 weeks of training because of a cold, and because I just didn't think I could do it.

I am proud to say, I was completely wrong. My body was ready, my brain was my roadblock.

The race was the Lady TuTu 5k at Easton. I love any reason to wear a TuTu, and I was doing it with one of my best friends and a huge inspiration to me, Shelly.

The weather was terrible. 40 degrees, cloudy, and threatening rain. I am not gonna lie, I was dreading it... TuTu or not. I made myself a promise. If I made it to Nordstroms (the 1 mile mark) I would allow myself to walk.

I focused on Nordstrom. As I was within steps of the store, I had a moment of Divine intervention and one of my absolute favorite songs to run to (Edge of Glory- Lady Gaga) came on. I decided, I was gonna run until the end of the song, then I would walk. As the song was ending, I realized how close to my good friend John's store I was, so I decided to run till I passed it. After rounding that corner, I saw PF Changs and decided that could be my walking point. As I rounded in front of PF Changs I saw this sign.




I realized I was ready to run a 5k. My body felt great. It wasn't raining. As I snapped that pic,  my GPS gave me the 2 mile split. I was running 11:47 miles. I was actually going faster than I hoped.

 No way in hell was I going to walk.

Even as I was blowing my nose at the 2.5mile mark... I was still jogging. As I hit 2.75 miles and turned towards the finish, "I can transform ya" came on my iPod. Another moment of Divine intervention. That song, has been my anthem as I get healthy. I'm sure that's not at all what Chris Brown intended, but it is my reminder that I can transform myself... and I am transforming myself.

When my cousin Jodi (another huge inspiration and cheerleader in my life) saw the 2 mile picture, she wrote "Breaking the mental barrier is the hardest part", "Time doesn't matter. The effort matters", and she told me she was proud of me. She was completely right (as she generally is). Once I stopped telling myself I couldn't do it, I did. My time didn't matter, because I tried hard all 3.1 miles. I had done something to be proud of.



My final time was 37:47. 12:27 splits.

 I consider that a starting point.

 By June, I intend to have splits of 11 minutes or quicker. By the end of 5k season (which for me is October- I don't do cold runs), I plan on being below 10 minute splits.

If you take one thing from this story, let it be Jodi's words "The effort matters".  Don't sell yourself short or allow yourself to make excuses. Be as slow as you need to be, but finish what you started.

Before I sign off... I want to tell you all my personal distaste for the majority of "Best Running Playlists for this" or "Best Songs to Run to when that" lists that you find on the internet. They never make sense to me... who cares about BPM if the song isn't motivating. I want my playlists to have music that inspires me.

Here are my 2 favorite 5k playlists right now. I love them. The 1st is the one I used for the Lady TuTu 5k. The 2nd is the one I am using next weekend for the Spring Dash 5k.


Please leave a comment with your favorite playlist or song! I want to compile them and share.
Enjoy
XOXOX
A

Transform Playlist (45 minutes)
Can't Stop- Red Hot Chili Peppers
So Fresh and So Clean- Outkast
Boom Boom Pow- Black Eyed Peas
Crazy Beautiful Life- Kesha
Can't Hold Us- Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
Edge of Glory- Lady Gaga
Sexy and I Know It- LMFAO
All I Do is Win- Dj Khaled
Number 1- Nelly
Work It- Missy Elliot
I Can Transform Ya- Chris Brown

Girl Power Playlist (43 Minutes)
Pretty Girl Rock- Keri Hilson
Bass Down Low- Dev
Born This Way- Lady Gaga
Bottle Pop- Pussycat Dolls
Got Me Good- Ciara
Grow a Pear- Kesha
Fergalicious- Fergie
Louboutins- J Lo
Single Ladies- Beyoncé
Use Ur Love- Katy Perry
VaVaVoom- Nicki Minaj





No comments:

Post a Comment